If you’ve been following me on social media (or TalkInArabic.com) then you might have heard the news already.
No? Here it is:
We just made our first foray into publishing!
That’s book publishing.
Actual paper and ink. 🙂
The first paperback edition of our new series is titled Egyptian Arabic: Easy Stories With English Translations and it consists of 12 mini stories written in colloquial Egyptian that incrementally rise in length and difficulty.
You know, the problem with Arabic reading material is much the same as the general problem with all learning resources – nearly all of it is in Modern Standard Arabic.
And even the reading material that is localized in spoken dialects tends to be too advanced for lower-level learners.
Since it’s a first edition and a totally new venture for us, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it.
You can pre-order it here from Amazon.
Here’s the gist of what you’ll find in the book:
- 12 mini stories on various focus topics, full of high-frequency vocabulary and expressions pertaining to those topics.
- Stories that incrementally rise in length and difficulty.
- Each story has a comprehension exercise section at the end of the chapter.
- Key vocabulary lists for each story (most of the main vocab used throughout the story).
- Full English translations in the back of the book (away from the Arabic so you’re not tempted by it).
- Large, clear font and moderate use of tashkeel (vowel markings) to improve readability for lower-level learners.
- All dialogues are bolded so they’re easy to distinguish.
- Lined, note-taking sections.
I really need to emphasize that this book is NOT for absolute beginners. If you’ve never studied Arabic before then I’d advise coming back to this later on.
Likewise, if you’re an Advanced, fluent speaker of Egyptian or a native speaker, then it may be too easy for you.
We’ve carefully designed this for a high-beginner -> low-intermediate learner.
It can be difficult to gauge exactly where you’re at but as a general rule, if you:
- Can read Arabic letters/script
- Have a solid grounding in core, fundamental vocabulary (the typical words you cover in a beginner course) that are the highest frequency in the language
Then the book is for you.
Focus topics of the stories and vocabulary generally cover: family, work, clothing, relationships, shopping, travel/tourism, schooling/education, food/eating out, emigrating, language learning and more.
Rather than have a whole book on one specific topic or one long story, we decided to cover a lot of relevant topics and aim for variety.
Here’s the pre-order page again.
If you have any specific questions about it, I’m happy to answer them.
Thanks a lot! 🙂
Oh, and if you do decide to go ahead and order the book, I’d love to hear your honest feedback (either drop a comment here, on Amazon or shoot me an email).
Note: We’ve had issues getting our ‘Look Inside’ images up on Amazon (restrictions on our publisher) so we’ve added a few photo samples to the TalkInArabic.com page here.
'Now Or Never' 💪 Language Bootcamp SALE
Olly Richards of I Will Teach You A Language is running an incredible 8 week online program for Spanish, French, Italian, German and Japanese based on his popular method.
The offer: Heavily discounted Uncovered language course + 8 weeks of live online coaching + additional bonuses.
If you're stuck at home during COVID-19 lockdown, take advantage of this offer.