Best French Language Learning Resources
Here are my most highly recommended resources for learning the French language.
I frequently refer to them in many of the articles I write on this site because I know they’re fantastic and they’ve been crucial to my own learning.
From time to time I use affiliate links for paid products on this site which means I get a small commission for referrals. It doesn’t affect the price of anything but doing so has helped me continue to maintain and improve this site over the last 10+ years as a helpful resource for language learners.
Most comprehensive online French courses
This is one of my favorite online courses which has some of the highest quality French dialogue material available.
Rocket French doesn’t follow a ‘cookie cutter’ approach like other well-known programs such as Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur, and it has a tonne of excellent audio content for all levels ranging from beginner to advanced.
Join The Guild by clicking here, select French and I'll send you a unique offer for Rocket French exclusive to my readers only.
An extremely well-made and very unique French course aimed at teaching French through a unique “story learning method” (StoryLearning).
If you’re looking for a full French curriculum that leads you all the way through to fluency, and are facing difficulties getting your head around how French works, this will definitely help you.
Best personalized course to learn French
Learn French with podcasts
This is an excellent French course in the form of audio podcasts and downloadable lessons.
As well as podcast-style lessons, you’ll find videos, a vocabulary database and dictionary, grammar explanations and various other useful features.
Use code MEZZOGUILD for 25% off any of their course options.
Inexpensive online French lessons
Not too long ago it was really difficult or impossible to practice French without actually traveling to France.
Thankfully, tools like italki have made it possible to connect with native speakers from all over the world to practice or to take personalized lessons over Skype (see my italki review).
The great news is, French lessons over Skype through italki are incredibly cheap compared to most teachers in person (many are as low as $6-8 an hour depending on what language you’re learning!). All the frustration of payments and scheduling is handled brilliantly by italki too which makes it very easy and stress free to arrange sessions.
Lingoda’s an excellent alternative to italki if you’re learning French and want more “structured” lesson control and feedback.
You have the option of choosing one-on-one lessons or small classes, and each lesson is topic-based and highly practical.
It’s very inexpensive too (monthly recurring subscription).
Best French fluency course
This is another very unique product that improves your fluency through a highly repetitive ‘listen and repeat’ approach.
It is, in my opinion, one of the the most useful tools I’ve seen for training French listening comprehension. Definitely not a conventional course but you’ll be amazed at how effective it is at improving your French fluency if you use it daily (read my Glossika review).
Best children’s resources for learning French
Little Pim: This children’s series is the work of Julia Pimsleur Levine, the daughter of Paul Pimsleur who created the world famous Pimsleur Method for learning languages.
Little Pim is extremely popular and effective at teaching languages to very young kids in a fun way.
French For Children (Catherine Bruzzone): This is an outstanding and very popular book for young children presented by a native French speaker that includes loads of audio with songs and games, as well as full color illustrations and activities.
The Everything Kids’ Learning French Book: I wanted to include this great book here as it’s suited for older kids but is beautifully laid out with lots of activities, dictionary and plenty of detail on the French language.
Best web and mobile apps to learn French
Mondly is a beautifully designed learning platform (also available as a mobile app) in 33 different languages including French.
It also teaches conversation in a Rosetta Stone-style way.
Read my Mondly review.
Best audio-only French course
Learn French using video
LingoPie is an outstanding library of high quality, interactive TV shows in 6 major European languages, including French.
If you enjoy learning from your favorite sitcoms and other genres, this is your best option.
This is an excellent site for using video to learn French where you can control the speed of playback and select words from the subtitles for definitions.
Yabla has recently had some major improvements and new video content added making it well worth a try (I wrote a Yabla review here).
Other free resources to help your French
Memrise: This is an outstanding online vocabulary training tool that lets you select French ‘courses’ to study (or create one yourself). Many of the courses also include audio.
AnkiSRS: A highly versatile flashcard app.
Forvo: If there’s ever a French word or expression that you’ve seen written but don’t know how to pronounce, you can search for it here (or request it) and hear a native speaker pronounce it for you.
Duolingo French: Duolingo is a fun, free and effective way to study French grammar.
Check out these relevant posts on French resources:
- Types Of French Conjunctions And How To Use Them
- Possessive Adjectives In French Explained With Examples
- French April Fool’s Day (Poisson d’Avril) & More Fishy Phrases
- Best French Immersion Courses For Seniors (Over 50’s)
- The Real Meaning Of C’est La Vie In French
- Mon Chéri Meaning (French): Translation & How To Use It
- French Vocabulary And Phrases For Military Personnel
- French Imperative (Explained Clearly For Beginners)
- 14 Different Ways To Say ‘Excuse Me’ In French
- 22 Similar French And Spanish Words You Should Recognize
- How To Speak Formal French: 10 Important Tips To Remember
- 40 Popular Animal Names In French (Categorized By Type)
- 7 Different Ways To Say You’re Embarrassed In French
- How To Say Maybe In French (8 Ways To Say It)
- Definite And Indefinite Articles In French: A Complete Guide
- How To Say I Don’t Understand In French (+11 Alternatives)
- 70+ Foods And Ingredients In French That You Should Know
- All The French Words You Need To Talk About Your Family
- Forming And Using The 5 Past Tenses In French: Full Guide
- 24 Ways To Say Yes In French (Other Than Oui)
- Qu’est-ce Que C’est In French: What It Means & When To Use It
- 30 Ways To Say Goodbye In French (Other Than Au Revoir)
- How To Say ‘Nice To Meet You’ In French
- How To Introduce Yourself In French [Essential Phrases]
- French vs Catalan: The Main Differences And Similarities
- Is French Easy? 4 Hard Things For English Speakers To Learn
- There’s No French Present Progressive Tense: Do This Instead
- 13 Interesting French Proverbs, Translations And Usage
- How To Say ‘What’ In French: 7 Different Terms You’ll Need
- How To Say ‘Beautiful’ In French (+ Grammar Tips)
- How To Say Congratulations In French (10 Different Ways)
- 7 Different Ways To Say ‘No’ Or Refuse Something In French
- Guide To Common French Spoken And Text/Chat Colloquialisms
- Here Are 30+ Countries Where French Is An Official Language
- How To Say Good Morning In French [Formal + Informal]
- French vs Italian: Main Differences All Learners Should Know
- 8 Excellent French Movies On Netflix To Learn French From
- 40+ Most Beautiful Words In French + Their Meanings
- Spanish vs French: Essential Similarities & Differences
- French For Business: Great Resources For Professionals
- How And When To Use The Conditional Tense In French
- How To Ask For Help In French: Essential Phrases For Travel
- Expressing Condolences in French: Useful Phrases + Examples
- French Question Words: Interrogatives With Clear Examples
- Homeschool (Or Lockdown) High School French Courses And Apps
- French Pronouns: The Different Types Explained With Examples
- Introduction To The French Subjunctive: Explained Clearly
- 100+ Most Desirable French Boy Names And Their Meanings
- 11 Fun And Engaging Online French Resources For Your Kids
- 100+ Most Beautiful French Girl Names And Their Meanings
- How To Say ‘You’re Welcome’ And Respond To Merci In French
- 14 French Curse Words Every Learner Should Eventually Know
- Essential French Words And Phrases For Wine Lovers 🍷
- 13 Best English To French Translation Apps And Services
- 13 Excellent French Resources For Primary-Age Homeschooling
- 30 Best Free Online French Lessons For All Levels (2023)
- How To Say ‘When’ In French (Quand, Lorsque And Others)
- How To Understand And Use French Prepositions Properly
- How To Form And Use The French Future Tense(s) With Examples
- 7 French Kids Cartoons To Improve Listening Comprehension
- How To Say Sorry In French (7 Key Phrases For Apologizing)
- How To Ask Or Tell The Time In French (Beginner’s Guide)
- Learn The Months Of The Year In French (Simple Guide)
- French Numbers: How To Count From One To Over A Trillion
- How To Say Goodnight In French (Quick Beginner’s Guide)
- How To Say Please In French (Quick Beginner’s Guide)
- 20 Commonly Used French Slang Phrases And Expressions
- How To Say ‘I Love You’ In French (Essential Guide)
- How To Say Hello In French And Respond (Formal + Informal)
- How To Say Thanks In French (Quick Beginner’s Guide)
- Days Of The Week In French (Quick Guide + Sample Sentences)
- Learning French? These 16 French YouTube Channels Will Help
- Learning French? Here Are 5 Books I Recommend You Own
- 22 Best Apps To Learn French In 2023 (Tried And Tested)
- 9 Great Podcasts To Help You Learn French In 2023
- How To Order Food And Desserts At A Restaurant In French
- French Nouns (+ Categories): Everything You Need To Know
- French Accent Marks For Beginners (+ How To Type On PC And Mac)
- Here’s How To Use Comparatives And Superlatives In French
- 37 Best And Worst Online French Courses For 2023
- Frantastique Review: A Brilliant, Personalized French Course
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Do French Immersion Outside Paris
- Alliance Française Review: It’s Very Hit And Miss
- 30 French Phrases You Absolutely Need When Visiting France
- Rocket French Review 2023 Edition: An Honest Look
- French Uncovered (StoryLearning) Review: My Own Experience
- News In Slow French Review: Not Bad But Better Options Exist
- Review: French In A Day With Elisabeth Smith iPhone App
- How To Start Learning French As A Beginner (And Succeed)
- Brutally Honest FrenchPod101 Review
- Podcast Français Facile Review: Great French-Only Resource