Best Spanish Language Learning Resources
Here are my most highly recommended resources for learning the Spanish language.
I frequently refer to them in many of the articles I write on this site either because I know they’re fantastic or they’ve been crucial to my own learning.
From time to time I use affiliate links for paid products on this site which means I get a small commission for referrals. It doesn’t affect the price of anything but doing so has helped me continue to maintain and improve this site over the last 15+ years as a helpful resource for language learners.
Most comprehensive online Spanish courses
This is one of my favorite online courses which has some of the highest quality Spanish dialogue material available.
Rocket Spanish doesn’t follow a ‘cookie cutter’ approach like other well-known programs such as Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur, and it has a tonne of excellent audio content for all levels ranging from beginner to advanced.
Join The Guild by clicking here, select Spanish and I'll send you a unique offer for Rocket Spanish exclusive to my readers only.
An extremely well-made and very unique Spanish course aimed at teaching Spanish through a unique “story method” (StoryLearning).
If you’re looking for a full Spanish curriculum that leads you all the way through to fluency, and are facing difficulties getting your head around how Spanish works, this resource definitely help you.
Learn Spanish with podcasts
This is an excellent Spanish course in the form of audio podcasts and downloadable lessons.
As well as podcast-style lessons, you’ll find videos, a vocabulary database and dictionary, grammar explanations and various other useful features.
Use code MEZZOGUILD for 25% off any of their course options.
Best personalized course to learn Spanish
Hotel Borbollón is a really unique and highly popular course for Spanish that offers 'personalized' lessons which adapt to your needs and skill level.
You receive corrections and exciting new content sent to you daily. Highly recommend this one.
Spanish fluency courses and guides
This is another very unique product that improves your fluency through a highly repetitive ‘listen and repeat’ approach.
It is, in my opinion, one of the the most useful resources I’ve seen for training Spanish listening comprehension (read my Glossika review). Definitely not a conventional course but you’ll be amazed at how effective it is at improving your Spanish fluency if you use it daily.
Another very unique Spanish course that breaks from the ‘grammar rules first’ mold and instead gets you learning whole chunks and collocations.
This course is all about learning Spanish *patterns* over rules. Definitely one of the more practical Spanish courses online.
Best audio-only Spanish course
Pimsleur is a household name and one of the most famous Spanish courses ever made.
It's a research-backed, proven method that is audio-only and gets you speaking quickly through spaced-repetition of situational phrases.
One of my personal favorites.
Read my Pimsleur review.
Inexpensive Spanish lessons via Skype
Not too long ago it was really difficult or impossible to practice Spanish without actually traveling to Spain or Latin America.
Thankfully, tools like italki have made it possible to connect with native speakers from all over the world to practice or to take personalized lessons over Skype (read my italki review).
The great news is, Spanish lessons over Skype through italki are incredibly cheap compared to most teachers in person (many are as low as $6-8 an hour depending on what language you’re learning!). All the frustration of payments and scheduling is handled brilliantly by italki too which makes it very easy and stress free to arrange sessions.
Lingoda’s an excellent alternative to italki if you’re learning Spanish and want more “structured” lesson control and feedback.
You have the option of choosing one-on-one lessons or small classes, and each lesson is topic-based and highly practical.
It’s very inexpensive too (monthly recurring subscription).
Learn Spanish using video
LingoPie is an outstanding library of high quality, interactive TV shows in 6 major European languages, including Spanish.
If you enjoy learning from your favorite sitcoms and other genres, this is your best option.
This is an excellent site for using video to learn Spanish where you can control the speed of playback and select words from the subtitles for definitions.
Yabla has recently had some major improvements and new video content added making it well worth a try (read my Yabla review).
This is a fantastic tool for learning Spanish using subtitled video (I reviewed FluentU here).
It has many of the same features as Yabla but a wider array of video content to choose from.
Other free resources to help your Spanish
Memrise: This is an outstanding online vocabulary training tool that lets you select Spanish ‘courses’ to study (or create one yourself). Many of the courses also include audio.
AnkiSRS: A highly versatile flashcard app.
Forvo: If there’s ever a Spanish word or expression that you’ve seen written but don’t know how to pronounce, you can search for it here (or request it) and hear a native speaker pronounce it for you.
Duolingo Spanish: Duolingo is a fun, free and effective way to study Spanish grammar.
Great books and resources for learning Spanish
Shaum’s Outline Of Spanish Grammar: By far, my favorite series when it comes to grammar study. The Shaum’s Outlines are comprehensive and detailed but very easy to read, comes with free audio and has handy perforated pages. It’s also inexpensive.
Spanish Short Stories For Beginners: Part of a series of unconventional short stories for beginners and put together by my friend, Olly Richards. It’s a great literary resource for improving your Spanish (now in two beginner volumes + intermediate).
Check out these relevant posts and Spanish resources:
- What Does The Spanish Word ‘Encanto’ Mean?
- How To Say Friday In Spanish
- Best Spanish Immersion Courses For Seniors (Over 50’s)
- How Much Are Spanish Lessons? In-Person & Online Price Guide
- Más Que vs Más De In Spanish: Definitions & Examples
- Qué vs Cuál In Spanish: How Are They Different?
- Your Ultimate Guide To Colors In Spanish
- How To Say Dog In Spanish (14 Different Ways)
- How To Say Grandma In Spanish [Nicknames & Diminutives]
- 9 Best Sites To Find (And Schedule) Spanish Tutors
- The Meaning Of Hermosa (And Its Alternatives) In Spanish
- Spanish Vocabulary And Phrases For Military Personnel
- 5 Best Spanish Language Certifications (Proficiency Tests)
- Your Best Guide To The Spanish Subjunctive (With Examples)
- In-Depth Guide To Meat And Poultry Cuts In Spanish
- How To Ask For, Write And Say The Date In Spanish
- 6 Different Ways To Say ‘But’ In Spanish (Formal & Informal)
- Spanish Imperative Mood (Commands) Explained For Beginners
- 27 Meaningful Spanish Tattoo Ideas For Guys And Girls
- 21 Dog Commands In Spanish You Need To Train Your New Puppy
- Te Quiero vs Te Amo: How They’re Different [+ Examples]
- 31 Spanish Onomatopoeia Words You Should Know
- 13 Ways To Say Shut Up In Spanish (Rudely & Politely)
- How To Say ‘Why’ In Spanish (11 Different Ways)
- How To Rent Or Buy Real Estate In Spanish (Words & Phrases)
- What Does Muy Bien Mean In Spanish?
- 16 Spanish Words Starting With K You Should Know
- 17 Spanish Words Starting With Y You Should Learn
- 15 Spanish Words Starting With W You Should Learn
- 39 Different Ways To Say Goodbye In Spanish
- 12 Different Ways To Say Friend In Spanish
- 14 Ways To Ask How Old Are You In Spanish
- The 4 Seasons In Spanish (Vocabulary Guide & Related Terms)
- 16 Romantic Ways To Say Beautiful In Spanish
- Spanish Indirect Object Pronouns (Explained In Simple Terms)
- How To Ask ‘Where Are You From’ In Spanish
- 10 Ways To Ask ‘What Are You Doing’ In Spanish
- 22 Similar French And Spanish Words You Should Recognize
- How To Read And Write In Spanish (14 Essential Tips)
- 37 Animal Names In Spanish You Should Know (By Type)
- 12 Best Ways To Say You’re Embarrassed In Spanish
- Definite And Indefinite Articles In Spanish: A Detailed Guide
- How To Say Good Morning In Spanish
- 9 Ways That You Can Say “I Don’t Understand” In Spanish
- 8 Different Ways That You Can Say Maybe In Spanish
- How To Say ‘Yes’ In Spanish (Formal And Informal)
- 70+ Foods And Ingredients In Spanish That You Should Know
- 40+ Spanish Conversational Connectors To Improve Fluency
- Vocabulary You Need To Identify Your Family In Spanish
- Spanish Continuous Tense: What It Is And How It’s Used
- How To Say What’s Your Name In Spanish [Formal & Informal]
- 26 Interesting Spanish Words Of Arabic Origin (Andalusian)
- 25 Spanish Terms Of Endearment For Family And Friends
- How To Say ‘No’ In Spanish (Formal And Informal)
- How To Say ‘Which’ In Spanish [Singular And Plural]
- 12 High-Paying Career Options For Spanish Speakers In 2023
- Excuse Me In Spanish: Essential Phrases + Examples
- What Are The Regional Languages Spoken in Spain?
- 8 Ways To Say ‘No Problem’ In Spanish (+ 2 Ways Not To)
- How To Tell Someone ‘Good Luck’ In Spanish
- How To Say Good In Spanish: Phrases & Examples
- The Main Differences Between Formal And Informal Spanish
- Present Progressive Tense In Spanish: Beginner’s Guide
- Spanish vs Catalan: Crucial Similarities And Differences
- How To Congratulate Someone In Spanish: Phrases & Examples
- 16 Good Spanish Movies On Netflix To Learn The Language From
- Spanish vs French: Essential Similarities & Differences
- 7 Best Schools And Immersion Programs To Learn Spanish (In Spain)
- Here’s How To Ask For Help In Spanish [Formal And Informal]
- How To Say You’re Welcome And Respond To Gracias In Spanish
- 14 Spanish Curse Words Every Learner Should Eventually Know
- Expressing Condolences In Spanish: Essential Phrases + Examples
- Spanish Interrogatives (Question Words) Explained Clearly
- SpanishVIP Review: My Favorite Custom Spanish Classes
- Top Primary School Spanish Resources For Homeschool Or Lockdown
- Homeschool (Or Lockdown) Spanish Courses And Apps For Teens
- 11 Best Spanish Resources For Kids That Won’t Bore Them
- Spanish Pronouns: The Different Types Explained With Examples
- Spanish Nouns: Explained In Simple Language (+ Examples)
- Spanish Body Parts List For Beginners (+ Grammar And Idioms)
- 30 Commonly Used -AR Verbs In Spanish (With Examples)
- 30 Frequently Used -IR Spanish Language Verbs With Examples
- Spanish Past Perfect Explained For Beginners (With Examples)
- Beginner’s Guide To The Spanish Past Tenses (With Examples)
- Guide To The Spanish Present Tense Indicative & Subjunctive
- 12 Spanish Language Resources For Medical Professionals
- Here Are 21 Countries Where Spanish Is An Official Language
- Spanish For Business: Great Resources For Professionals
- How To Say Sorry In Spanish (8 Key Phrases For Apologizing)
- 31 Best Free Online Spanish Lessons For All Levels (2023)
- 13 Best English To Spanish Translation Apps And Extensions
- Saber vs Conocer: Their Differences Explained (+ Examples)
- Learning Spanish? Here Are The Best Sitcoms (Shows) To Watch
- How To Use The 3 Main Future Tenses In Spanish (Easy Guide)
- How To Pronounce And Type The Spanish Letter Ñ (Squiggly N)
- How To Say ‘I Miss You’ In Spanish (European + Latin American)
- The Conditional Tense In Spanish: How And When To Use It
- How To Say Thanks In Spanish (Quick Beginner’s Guide)
- Days Of The Week In Spanish (Quick Guide + Sample Sentences)
- How To Say Goodnight In Spanish (Quick Beginner’s Guide)
- Spanish Reflexive Verbs & Pronouns Explained In Simple Terms
- How To Say Hello In Spanish And Respond (Formal + Informal)
- Por vs Para: How To Use Them Both With Examples In Context
- How To Say ‘I Love You’ In Spanish (Essential Guide)
- Learn The Months Of The Year In Spanish (Simple Guide)
- 4 Meanings Of Porque In Spanish (Clarified For Beginners)
- How To Say Please In Spanish (Quick Beginner’s Guide)
- 9 Great Podcasts To Help You Learn Spanish In 2023
- Ser vs Estar: Your Best Guide On Usage And Common Mistakes
- 25 Best Spanish Idioms That Every Learner Should Use
- 24 Spanish Slang Terms Commonly Used By Native Speakers
- 50+ Common Spanish Adjectives With Examples Of Their Usage
- 24 Spanish Nicknames For Family, Partners And Close Friends
- 18 Best Ways To Ask How Are You In Spanish (+ Audio)
- 6 Easy Tips To Help You Learn Spanish While You’re At Work
- How To Order Food From A Taco Truck In Spanish
- 22 Best Apps To Learn Spanish In 2023 (Rigorously Tested)
- How Long Does It Take To Learn Spanish? (It’s Faster Than You Think)
- 105 Common Spanish Phrases Every Learner Should Know
- Here’s How To Use Comparatives And Superlatives In Spanish
- Spanish Accent Marks For Beginners (+ How To Type Them)
- Do People In The Philippines Speak Spanish? (Not Quite)
- Learning Spanish? Here Are 5 Books I Highly Recommend You Own
- 35 Best Online Spanish Courses In 2023 (Personally Tested)
- 10 Hardest Things About Learning Spanish (+ How To Learn Them Easily)
- Spanish Verb Conjugation Is Easy: Here’s How To Learn Them
- News In Slow Spanish Review: Good Resource But Not The Best
- How To Start Learning Spanish As A Beginner (The Best Way)
- Yes, Italians Can Understand Spanish Speakers (Mostly)
- Rocket Spanish Review: In-Depth And Detailed (2023 Edition)
- Lupa Review (Advanced Spanish Listening): My Honest Opinion
- SpanishDict Review: One-Stop Dictionary For Spanish Learners
- How To Learn Spanish In One Month
- Baselang Review: Frankly Overpriced And Hyped Spanish School
- 7 Huge Differences Between European and Latin American Spanish
- Spanish Uncovered (StoryLearning) Review: My Own Experience
- Review: New Berlitz Phrasebooks With Reader-Suggested Content
- Learn Spanish Numbers: How To Count To Over A Million In Spanish
- The Truth About Spanish Dialect Variations And Word Comparisons
- Fluencia Review: Not Worth The Cost... Alternatives Exist
- Synergy Spanish Review: Ideal For Building Phrases But Overpriced
- SpanishPod101 Review: Brutally Honest And In-Depth Look
- Spanish With Paul (Course) Review: Too Dull In My Opinion
- Learning Spanish? These 10 YouTube Channels Are An Absolute Must
- Jumpspeak Review: Innovative AI Spanish Chat But Very Buggy
- Lengalia Review: Reasonably Good But Better Options Exist