In this episode, I explore why overseas language immersion is so different to doing it at home.
The answer may surprise you.
I take it a step further and actually attempt an experiment to replicate the process of overseas immersion without leaving home.
- Simply being in the target language country has very little direct correlation to language immersion.
- The primary factor that makes overseas language immersion so successful is time spent using.
- Listening time does equal usage time.
- Languages I’ve picked up quickly abroad have been the result of me using the language for 5 – 6 hours a day on average.
- In order to replicate this at home, it requires an extremely regimented and exhausting schedule.
- As the day goes on, your mind adjusts more to the language but you fatigue a lot.
Related blog post:
Read the results of my at-home language immersion experiment.