In this episode, I review and analyze the Michel Thomas Method (I focus on Total and Perfect Arabic).
TL;DR: Not impressed with Michel Thomas at all.
- Expensive marketing and celebrity endorsements are, in my opinion, the sole reason Michel Thomas became a household name.
- Age + celebrity endorsement are not reliable indicators of course quality.
- The MT classroom is 100% teacher-controlled and full responsibility for the outcome rests on the teacher.
- This goes against research and contemporary teaching methodologies.
- There are constant error corrections – even for minor grammatical mistakes.
- Emphasis on stress reduction has positive and negative effects on student outcome.
- There is way too much English spoken in the courses and the native speaker only plays a complimentary role in the lessons.
- Michel Thomas completely lacks the most important feature of any course – authentic listening comprehension exercises.
- What Michel Thomas gets right is its emphasis on functional building blocks and chunking.
Read my Michel Thomas review.
For some language course alternatives, take a look at my language tools.