In today’s episode, I cover reading and talk about whether or not it’s actually helpful in learning to speak a foreign language.
To be honest, I consider it a waste of time in many cases.
- There’s technically no such thing as a “written language”.
- You can’t find a single place on earth where writing is the primary form of communication between people.
- Since language is 100% spoken/audio (or signed), why spend so much energy learning literacy?
- Meaning association should always be sound-based, not written word-based.
- Literacy skills come after spoken fluency, not before.
- Literacy is a great way to expand vocabulary and build articulation – but only after you’ve already learned to speak.
Related blog post:
I talked about reading for foreign language learning in this blog post a while back.