In today’s episode, I cover reading and talk about whether or not it’s actually helpful in learning to speak a foreign language.
To be honest, I consider it a waste of time in many cases.
- There’s technically no such thing as a “written language”.
- You can’t find a single place on earth where writing is the primary form of communication between people.
- Since language is 100% spoken/audio (or signed), why spend so much energy learning literacy?
- Meaning association should always be sound-based, not written word-based.
- Literacy skills come after spoken fluency, not before.
- Literacy is a great way to expand vocabulary and build articulation – but only after you’ve already learned to speak.
Related blog post:
I talked about reading for foreign language learning in this blog post a while back.
Hey, it's Black Friday Time!
This is without doubt the most important time of the year to grab the best language products for dirt cheap.
You can literally save a fortune on language learning resources which makes this an unmissable time to stock up for next year.
Black Friday period only lasts a few days each year.
I've collaborated with other language course creators to round up some incredible Black Friday language offers from around the web for you this week (and some are exclusive to my readers).