In this episode, I go over some of the absolute best career options for language learners and polyglots (including some less common ones).
- Career can be a great extrinsic motivator for language learning (though intrinsic motivation is better long-term).
- Translation is the most popular choice – working with the written word.
- Interpretation is the next one but is often confused with translation. While translation is to do with written text, interpretation is the spoken word.
- Foreign language intelligence is good for people who love languages and have exceptional people skills.
- Teach it. Although teaching as a non-native speaker isn’t desirable most of the time, it’s still valuable in the right circumstances.
- Customer service positions for people with foreign language skills abound these days.
- The military. While you may not have a choice which language you learn, you’ll still be paid to learn languages and get salary increases for every language you learn.
- Become a language blogger or content creator (i.e. YouTube). This can be incredibly lucrative and allow you to help a lot of people with what you’ve learned. See my article on language blogging.
- Try humanitarian work. There are loads of opportunities around (some pay, most don’t).
- Check out companies like Appen which hire computational linguists.
Related blog post:
To read more on language careers, check out the detailed article I wrote about it.
Head over to my language tools page for my top language resource in various languages.