Anxiety for me has always been a problem but seems to be getting worse as I get older.
In this episode, I talk about it and how it affects my language learning. I also go into strategies I use to overcome severe performance anxiety.
- Even in my strongest language (Arabic), I suffer performance anxiety.
- Performance anxiety is what causes us to panic in job interviews and sports.
- I had a recent experience in Arabic where I experienced the worst ‘anxiety’ moment I’ve ever had and it made no sense to me.
- You can’t really “get rid of” performance anxiety – you just have to manage it effectively.
- Accept that you won’t get better unless you just do it.
- Be prepared and it’ll help a lot.
- You’ll probably never see the person you’re talking to again (and if you do, who cares?)
- Reclusiveness is not an option.
- Embrace sloppiness.
- Stay in control of the conversation.
- Nobody is going to make fun of you.
Related blog post:
I went into detail about my experience battling anxiety here.
I recommend italki for lessons and conversation practice in the comfort of your own home.