In this episode, I cover in great detail what translation is all about and how you can get into it as a career.
- I’ve worked in translation on-and-off for years (Arabic -> English).
- Translation and interpretation are two completely different jobs (interpretation is much harder in my opinion).
- Just because you’re fluent doesn’t mean you’re able to translate.
- Translators are good writers and good writers are good readers.
- Being a successful translator requires persistence and strong business/branding skills (if you’re freelance).
- Rare languages have less work but pay better.
Related blog post:
I wrote an article about how to become a freelance translator and make money while you travel.